Soon, San Antonio kids will be saying goodbye to beach towels and flip flops and hello to school supplies and backpacks. While out shopping for a new backpack, for the upcoming school year, here are a few tips to keep in mind. Let’s help San Antonio kids stay back-pain free this year.
- Should not extend above shoulders
- Should rest in contour of low back (not sag down toward buttocks)
- Should sit evenly in middle of back
- Shoulder straps should rest comfortably on shoulders and underarms, with arms free to move – tighten shoulder straps to achieve this fit
- Tighten hip and waist straps to hold pack near body
- Padded straps help even pressure over the shoulders
Weight of Pack
- Should never exceed 15% of the child’s weight, to avoid excess load on the spine
Lifting Of Pack
- Proper lifting is done by bending the knees, squatting to pack level, and keeping pack close to body to lift first to waist level and then up to shoulders
Carrying The Pack
- Keep both shoulder straps in place and pack centered
- Spinal forces increase with distance from the body’s center
- Uneven stresses on the spine can cause muscle imbalances. This can lead to pain and possibly functional scoliosis
If your child does start to complain of constant back pain, talk to your pediatrician and make sure that it isn’t a more serious issue such as scoliosis.
Mission Physical Rehabilitation is here to help your child get through their school year pain free. Call a location near you, to see how we can help.